The one time where I got all opinionated...

posted on: Friday, October 26, 2012


Politics can be a slippery slope. No one really wants to take the plunge into discussing it because when you do there is no coming back. Actually, there are exceptions to the rule, namely those jack wagons that relish in offending everyone with their nonsense--they enjoy the slippery ride down. This post isn't about politics,  mainly it is about having a voice and and being an active citizen in the democratic process, especially as women.

Yesterday, I heard two ladies in the grocery store discussing how much they hated politics and their disdain for the recent flood of political commercials and mud slinging. One woman remarked, "I can't stand either candidate and why should I, neither one of them will really affect me if elected, so I am not voting."

"Yeah, totally logical thinking," I thought. cough. 

As women, we owe it to all those that fought so we could have a voice in our country. We live in a nation where we not only have the equal right to vote, to work, to live free, to make personal choices--but where we also have a platform to stand up for our beliefs as well--without harm or retribution for having an opinion. Each day, thousands of soldiers fight for these rights, and it only seems fitting that we should set aside a small moment out of hectic schedules to do the one thing that many other countries (including woman) can only dream about. Democracy has not come without pain and suffering--we have a debt to pay, even if it is just voting.  

Taking a stand and voting in our state and national elections is just one of the many ways we can give back to a country that has given so much for us. On November 6th I will be voting. Who I am voting for isn't really important. What is important is that we, the citizens, play a vital role in the future of our nation.  

Truth of the matter is, I don't condone this notion that by not voting an individual can therefore live in ignorance for the next four years, yet still scrutinize wages, taxes, housing, social programs, and a whole slew of other issues surrounding our rights as citizens. Frankly, if you don't vote, don't complain. As for the young woman in the grocery store who truly believed that her life would not be affected by this election I would like to give her a "4-1-1 reality check". The work checks she cashes, the groceries she buys, the gas she puts in her car, the taxes she pays, the simple inalienable rights she takes for granted are very much affected by this election. If she wants to make a change to the system it starts with the simple step of voting. It starts with this simple step for all of us. 

Vote early if you must, cast those absentees, wait in line on Election Day--whatever you choose to do, make sure you vote. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I rarely voice my opinion on matters of a controversial nature, but I think this is a time where all of us have to stand for beliefs, do our due diligence in researching each candidate and the issues, and vote for the future of our nation.

That's all for today's PSA. Carry on friends :)

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree. So many people before us have fought for the right to vote and now so many of us don't care. Women should think of this right, just as the one to own property. Would we want to go back to the days when neither of rights were available to women?!

    I can't even vote because I am not a citizen of the US, but I know that the next 4 years will certainly affect my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thank you! I wish everyone understood this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post Halsey. My Dad instilled in me the idea that "if you don't vote you don't have the right to complain" and I feel guilty if I don't go vote on election day (In Canada we don't have advanced voting). I'm glad you marked the X! Who America votes for on November 6th will REALLY affect me in Canada and our environment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100% agree... and i'm not even american :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this! Neither one of them will effect her...REALLY! ARGH, some people should be forced to live in other countries to realize the rights that we are so blessed with in America!
    If we took away that woman's right to vote I wonder if she'd even notice....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that people say that they don't like either candidate, so they're not voting...FYI, there's more than just the presidential election going on! I cast my absentee ballot and put it in the mail today-we have to drive 25 miles to get to our voting station :(

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger